Students, schools and staff were honored during Saturday’s 32nd annual Martin Luther King celebration sponsored by Concerned Citizens of Lamar County. The event was held at Spring Chapel Baptist Church of Purvis.
The theme for this year’s program was “Rejoicing in the Blessing of the Past, While Embracing the Challenges of the Future.”
The Rev. Dennis Holder, pastor of Zion Hill Baptist Church and former principal at Lumberton High School, spoke to those in attendance while the Sweet Beulah Baptist Church Choir of Lumberton provided music.
Harry Breland, president of CCLC, said the event not only honored King, but academic and athletic achievements were also highlighted.
“It’s the goal of the Concerned Citizens group to bring the communities together – Sumrall, Oak Grove, Purvis and Lumberton,” Breland said.
Plaques were handed out to representatives from each of the county’s schools. “We want people to know that education is important and we appreciate the hard work our teachers, administrators and other school faculty put in,” Breland said.
Those recognized with Martin Luther King Humanitarian and Leadership awards during the program include:
• Lamar County School District for receiving a 2018 Level ‘A’ achievement rating
• Oak Grove High School for receiving the 2018 Level ‘A’ achievement rating from the Mississippi Dept. of Education
• OGHS for receiving the Mississippi No. 1 highest accountability score among 6A schools the No. 3 highest accountability score among all schools
• Purvis High School for receiving a Level ‘B’ achievement rating from the MDE
• Sumrall High School, a MDE Level ‘B’ achievement rating
• Lumberton High School, Level ‘D’ MDE rating
• Purvis Upper Elementary, Level ‘B’ rating
• Baxterville School, Level ‘B’ rating
• Sumrall Elementary, Level ‘A’ rating
• Lumberton Elementary, Level ‘B’ rating
• Oak Grove Upper Elementary, Level ‘A’ rating
• Oak Grove Lower Elementary, Level ‘A’ rating
• Oak Grove Primary, Level ‘A’ rating
• Oak Grove Primary, Level ‘A’ rating
• Purvis Lower Elementary, Level ‘A’ rating
• Oak Grove Middle School, Level ‘B’ rating
• Purvis Middle School, Level ‘B’ rating
• Sumrall Middle School, Level ‘A’ rating
• Longleaf Elementary, Level ‘A’ rating
• Bryan Giles for being selected as principal of Lumberton High School
• Terry Ingram for being re-elected to the LCSD Board for District D
• Jim Braswell for being elected to the LCSD Board for District B
• Dahlia Landers for more than 40 years of dedicated service to the LCSD as a teacher, assistant principal and principal
• Mattie Brown for dedicated services rendered through a caregiving agency for disabled patients
• Darius Jackson for being selected as a member of the Under Armour All-American team
• Dennis Holder for dedicated services to the Lumberton School District as a coach, principal and athletic director
• Nevil Barr for his outstanding coaching career and for elected to the Mississippi 201 Association Coaches Hall of Fame
• Drew Causey for being selected as a coach in the Bernard Blackwell All-Star Game
• Sumrall High School for advancing to the first round of the 2018 MHSAA South State playoffs in football
• Lumberton High School for advancing to the second round of the 2018 MHSAA South State playoffs in football
• Oak Grove High School for winning the South State MHSAA championship and advancing to the State MHSAA playoffs
• Purvis High School girls basketball team for winning the Lamar County Girls Basketball Championship
• Oak Grove High School boys basketball team for winning the Lamar County Boys Basketball Championship for 2018
The following students were recognized for excellence in a particular sport.
Oak Grove High School
• Girls Basketball – Alesha Temple, Aly May, Terrdia Beal
• Boys Basketball – Jaylon Redmond, Johnny Magee
• Football – John Rhys Plumlee, Jack Harris, Jarius Reimonenq, Austin Todd, Benn Johnson, Jarrell Spight, Tavion Smith, Trenton Jackson, Liam Breithaupt
Sumrall High School
• Girls Basketball – Kristen Johnson, Lilli Robertson, Hollie Williamson
• Boys Basketball – Zane Berry, Nijewel Coleman, Tyrek Preston
• Football – Austin Cox, Lawson Graves, Khaden Greenwood
Lumberton High School
• Girls Basketball – Jameya Johnson, Makia Willis
• Boys Basketball – Daylan Young, E.K. Bowens, Claudio Williams
• Football – Kamarro Cobbert, Davion Edwards, Antwuan Lampton, Montye Cook
Purvis High School
• Girls Basketball – Elise Jackson, Karson Suire, Andee Robertson
• Boys Basketball – Tyler Garrison, Bryson Rowell
• Football – Jesse Johnson, Wayne Ray, Austin Swarte
• Girls Softball – Gracey Baucom, Andee Robertson, Maddie Russell.