The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) Graduate School recently held an induction ceremony for its 2021 Graduate Student Hall of Fame, recognizing top students in each of the university’s four academic colleges. The students, who may be master’s, specialist, or doctoral candidates, are selected by their academic dean based on excellence in academic performance, research or creative productivity, and attitude and character.
This year, 12 students were inducted in a live (and live-streamed) ceremony held in Scianna Hall Auditorium on the Hattiesburg campus. Each student’s canvas portrait, photographed in their research or creative setting to showcase the student and their work, was unveiled and the students received a commemorative certificate. The portraits will be displayed in J.B. George Hall room 143 on the Hattiesburg campus, the new home of the Graduate School, for one full year.
“The Hall of Fame Portrait Unveiling Ceremony is my favorite event of the academic year, and I love it that selection into the Hall of Fame is recognized as a prestigious honor by our students,” said Dr. Karen Coats, dean of the USM Graduate School. “I enjoy meeting the family, friends, and faculty mentors whose beaming faces always reveal the pride they feel in the accomplishments of their loved one or mentee. I invite the campus community to visit the Hall of Fame portrait gallery in the Graduate School to share our celebration of our best and brightest graduate students.”
• Brian Ward Bauer of Preston, Washington, College of Education and Human Sciences, School of Psychology (faculty mentor: Dr. Dan Capron)
• Corinne Dekkers of St. Petersburg, Florida, College of Arts and Sciences, School of Humanities (faculty mentor: Dr. Adam Clay)
• Emily Caroline Brister of Brandon, Mississippi, College of Nursing and Health Professions, School of Leadership and Advanced Nursing Practice (faculty mentor: Dr. Cathy Hughes)
• Hayley Michael Hasik of Melissa, Texas, College of Arts and Sciences, School of Humanities (faculty mentor: Dr. Heather Stur)
• Emily Stahley of St. Paul, Minnesota, College of Arts and Sciences, School of Criminal Justice, Forensic Science and Security (faculty mentor: Dr. Lisa Nored)
• Sara Frances Davis of Jackson, Mississippi, College of Education and Human Sciences, School of Child and Family Sciences (faculty mentor: Dr. Mariann Taylor)
• Mary M. Medlin of Monroe, Louisiana, College of Education and Human Sciences, School of Psychology (faculty mentor: Dr. Donald Sacco)
• Sydney Ruzicka of Kiln, Mississippi, College of Nursing and Health Sciences, School of Health Professions (faculty mentor: Dr. Charkarra Anderson-Lewis)
• Christine Vong of Sacramento, California, College of Nursing and Health Professions, School of Speech and Hearing Sciences (faculty mentor: Dr. Steven Cloud)
• Samantha Michelle Coblentz of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, College of Business and Economic Development, School of Accountancy (faculty mentor: Amber Hatten)
• Song Zhang of Anhui, China, College of Arts and Sciences, School of Polymer Science and Engineering (faculty mentor: Dr. Xiaodan Gu)
• Gregory Laney of Alexander, New York, College of Business and Economic Development, School of Management (faculty mentor: Dr. Joel Bolton)