The Sacred Heart football team announced that it was forced to cancel its game against Salem after a member of the team tested positive for COVID-19.
According to Athletic Director Joe Falla Jr., learned of the positive test late in the afternoon on Thursday. Despite the positive test, Sacred Heart plans to continue its season after its two-week shutdown of the football program.
“We will keep our fingers crossed and hope to return to action,” Falla said.
Along with the Salem game, Sacred Heart was supposed to play Richton on Sept. 18. However, Richton had planned to forfeit that game as a result of positive COVID-19 tests that the program received last week.
As of now, there has been no discussion to reschedule the Sacred Heart-Richton game.
Falla said that the program hopes to return to play Resurrection but it is unclear whether the team will be able to play due to COVID-19 protocols.
Sacred Heart’s other athletic programs will continue to practice and play as scheduled.