All-girls robotics team qualifies for state competitionBy NIKKI SMITH,
Petal School District Board of Trustees’ last meeting of the year was filled with fun surprises.
In addition to caroling from senior show choir members and a performance by sixth-grade percussion students, Petal Primary School Robotics team members gave a special presentation.
Students Reid Tryner, Cole Howard, Anderson Schoggin, Gretchen McClure and Piper Howard demonstrated what they, and their robots, can do.
The students explained the process of building their robots and how they competed with them in a recent regional competition.
In a League Tournament on Monday, the Panther Claw Team received the judges award.
The team is comprised of only girls, because of a requirement for the Girl-Powered Grant designed to interest young women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields.
The Panther Claw team members are Lily Cochran, Jill Christen, Gretchen McClure and Piper Howard.
On Tuesday at the Oak Grove Tournament, the Jaxbots Team placed sixth in the Teamwork Challenge, and the Panther Claw Team placed fifth in the Teamwork Challenge.
They also received the Excellence Award, which comes with advancement to compete in the State Championships that will be held in March at The University of Southern Mississippi.
The Jaxbots team members are Jax Dunn, Cole Howard, Ryder Berry, Anderson Schoggin and Penton Bolling.
In other action, the board:
• Approved the minutes from the November meeting;
• Approved all policies as presented;
• Approved the claims docket;
• Approved the financial statements;
• Approved the bank reconciliation of October 2017;
• Approved the resignations of Terri Irons as Petal Primary School part-time teacher assistant and Kaylan Nobles as a nutrition assistant;
• Approved a change of status for Jennifer Burkhalter at Petal Primary School from part-time to full-time teacher assistant and Tina Caves at Petal Primary School from part-time to full-time teacher assistant;
• Approved the following recommendations: Anna Belk at Petal Primary School as part-time teacher assistant; Ashley Galloway at Petal Primary School as Sped teacher; Amber Harper at Petal Primary School as part-time teacher assistant; Carissa Hart at Petal Primary School as part-time teacher assistant; Fiona McSwain at Petal Primary School as part-time teacher assistant; Mollie Thies at Petal Primary School as part-time teacher assistant; Kimberly Bolan at Petal Upper Elementary School as a teacher assistant; Beth Warrick as a nutrition assistant; Novel Rogers as a bus driver and John Myers as an officer with the school district police department;
• Approved extra work contracts for Petal Upper Elementary School Math Boost, ELA Boost and Playoff Supplements;
• Approved substitute recommendations for 2017-18 for substitute teacher and child nutrition substitutes;
• Approved a donation from an anonymous donor of $500 to pay a child’s lunch money for the remainder of the year;
• Approved out-of-state student travel for Petal Indoor Percussion to attend four out-of-state competitions;
• Approved sixteenth section lease 10-year rent adjustment on lease to Alene Kilgore and Terry Jones.