In a season already filled with challenges, Sacred Heart suffered another tough loss.


In a season already filled with challenges, Sacred Heart suffered a tough loss to Richton Friday night and fell 40-11 to the Rebels from Perry County.

The Crusaders, who are 0-4 on the season, had no answer to Richton’s running game led by quarterback Dylan Farve.

Farve had five touchdown runs for the Rebels including jaunts of 10, 49, 67, 23, and 49 yards. The senior ended the night with 243 rushing yards.

Early in the first quarter, the Rebels scored on the fifth play on the game with a 10-yard run from Farve giving Richton a 7-0 lead just two minutes into the game.

The Crusaders received the kickoff on the 31-yard line. After a four-and-out, Sacred Heart punted and just five plays later, Farve scored on a 49-yard quarterback draw.

The cycle repeated itself again with Farve rushing 67 yards to the end zone to make it 21-0 with 10:35 left in the 2nd quarter. And then again on a 23-yard run to give them a 27-0 lead late in the first half.

The Crusaders finally punched their way onto the scoreboard as time ran out in the half on the strength of a 27-yard pass from sophomore quarterback Cal Bough to freshman Jude Bishop. From there, it was junior Riley Morris with an impressive 27-yard field goal to make it 27-3 at the half.

The Crusaders did manage to stop the Rebels on their first possession of the second half and capitalized on a nine-play drive capped off by a three-yard rushing touchdown by Anthony Boyette to make it 27-11 with 1:57 left in the 3rd quarter.

And then Farve went back to work - first with a 49-yard touchdown run on the first play of the team’s second possession and again later in the game on a 15-yard touchdown pass to make it 40-11.

After the Rebels received the kickoff, Farve broke a 49-yard touchdown run on the first play of the drive. Richton would go up 33-11 with 1:46 remaining in the 3rd.

Coach Ed Smith talked about the tough loss after the game.

“I thought our effort was good,” Smith said. “We were real thin with all the injuries tonight. We were down to 17 to 18 healthy bodies on the field. We had several guys that stepped up and answered the call. I was real proud of our guys for that. We worked on all week a plan to contain Farve. We knew he was tough and we really had no answer for his running abilities.”

Sacred Heart will host Resurrection Catholic next Friday night.